From the news desk

Afghan candidate threatens to shun vote audit

Share this article
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

One of the two men vying to become Afghanistan’s next president has threatened to boycott a ballot audit from the country’s disputed presidential runoff, his adviser said, a development that could further disrupt the already troubled process.

The complicated, UN-supervised audit of the eight million votes from the June presidential runoff was brokered by the US in July as a way to end the fractious debate over who won the election.

The process followed allegations of vote fraud on both sides and is meant to decide whether Abdullah Abdullah, a former foreign minister, or former Finance Minister Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai will replace President Hamid Karzai.

Abdullah has said that the audit has failed to invalidate a sufficient number of ballots so far that would correspond to the level of vote fraud his team claims has taken place.

A top adviser for Abdullah told reporters on Tuesday that if Abdullah’s concerns are not addressed by Wednesday morning, he will pull out of the audit.

“If our demands are not accepted, we will announce the end of this process,” Fazel Ahmad Manawi said.

“This process will not be acceptable to us and the result will not have any value.”

Manawi said the election commission ignored their complaints about fraudulent ballots.

Recount ‘to proceed anyway’

A spokesman for the Independent Election Commission, Noor Ahmad Noor, said the recount would proceed on Wednesday regardless of whether Abdullah’s team decided to take part.

The United Nations issued a lengthy statement pointing out the high level of input each team has had in the audit process.

Al Jazeera’s Jennifer Glass, reporting from Kabul, said: “Presidential Candidate Abdullah Abdullah’s supporters did not show up at the election headquarters today, because their demands were not met. Election commission meeting with the UN to decide whether audit and recount should continue.”

Earlier, a representative from Ahmadzai’s campaign dismissed the boycott threat, saying they had already made numerous concessions to Abdullah’s side and that the fraud Abdullah has been alleging simply was not there.

“They don’t show up? So what?” Daoud Sultanzoy, who supervises the audit for the Ahmadzai team, said. “When people try to threaten stability in this country we should not accommodate them because of their threats.”

Karzai has said the new president should be sworn in on September 2.

The lack of a new president has held up the signing of a security agreement between the US and Afghanistan to allow its troops to stay in the country past the end of this year, when foreign forces are due to withdraw.

Both candidates have promised to sign the agreement, which Karzai refused to sign. Al Jazeera


Share this article
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
WhatsApp WhatsApp us
Wait a sec, saving restore vars.