From the news desk

Alleged heart-eater’s bail bid continues

Share this article
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The Athlone Magistrate’s Court, in Cape Town, will hear closing arguments on Monday in the bail application of a Zimbabwean man accused of killing a man and eating his heart.

On Thursday, the court heard that Andrew Chimboza, 35, was a danger to society and a flight risk.

Testifying in his bail application, investigating officer Sergeant Mpumelelo Yengwa said there was nothing keeping Chimboza in South Africa as he had no property or children.

Yengwa said he opposed bail because residents might kill Chimboza, he could kill himself, or endanger others. He believed the State had a strong case against him.

Chimboza came to Cape Town from Zimbabwe in 2009 and ran a window-tinting business.

On Wednesday, Chimboza testified he stabbed Mbuyiselo Manona, 62, to death in self-defence at the Gugulethu home of a female client on June 10.

He said Manona had been belligerent for no reason and attacked him without warning when his client had left to buy alcohol.

He rejected the State’s claim that he had eaten Manona’s heart and said the blood on his face had been from a gash to the head and Manona’s spurting wounds. SAPA


Share this article
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
WhatsApp WhatsApp us
Wait a sec, saving restore vars.