From the news desk

ANC officials to meet on Monday to discuss Fransman’s fate

Share this article
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

ANC Western Cape chairperson Marius Fransman will have to wait the weekend to find out whether he will be suspended pending a police investigation into a sexual harassment complaint against him.

Provincial party officials are set to meet at their Cape Town office at 10:00 on Monday to discuss the matter, spokesperson Yonela Diko told News24 on Saturday.

“I will release a statement thereafter on the decisions taken, if any.”

The closed meeting would take place only after the conclusion of the ruling party’s 104th anniversary celebrations in the North West.

Earlier on Friday, Fransman said he knew the woman who had laid the complaint against him, but denied harming her in any way.

He and the woman were driving with two other people from Cape Town to Rustenburg for the ANC’s 104th anniversary celebrations. The woman was a companion of one of the other passengers, he said in a statement.

The complaint was laid at a police station in Rustenburg, North West, on Tuesday.

He described the woman’s action as “low”, saying there was more to the allegations than met the eye.

“As a seasoned politician I expect these kinds of malicious attacks on my integrity. This is unfortunately one of the lowest levels that people can stoop to.”

He asked for the public to give police officers investigating the matter space to do their work.

“I will pursue all available avenues to clear my name and protect my integrity,” he said.

North West police spokesperson Colonel Sabata Mokgwabone confirmed that a case was opened and was being investigated.

He would not divulge any details about the case. Once investigations had been concluded a decision would be made on whether someone would be charged, he said.

The ANC Women’s League has pledged to support the woman who lodged the complaint.

“The ANCWL has always been firm that it stands with the victim,” spokesperson Toko Xasa said in a statement on Friday night.

The league would monitor the police’s investigation and had confidence that the justice system would protect South Africa’s women.

Xasa said the women’s league respected the principle that Fransman was innocent until proven guilty. News24


Share this article
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
WhatsApp WhatsApp us
Wait a sec, saving restore vars.