The ANC in the Western Cape will discuss the allegations of sexual harassment against its provincial chairperson, Marius Fransman, at its provincial executive committee (PEC) meeting on Friday.
“It was the first time that we were able to sit down and deal with it yesterday [Tuesday],” spokesperson Jabu Mfusi said.
“Officials will now take it to the PEC and further brief the PEC. The PEC will discuss and then come out with an appropriate decision.”
Fransman is facing charges of sexual harassment after a 20-year-old woman accused him of “inappropriate touching” while they were on their way to Rustenburg in the North West for the ANC’s 104th anniversary celebrations last weekend.
Mfusi said Fransman briefed officials on Tuesday afternoon.
“We have reaffirmed our position that we don’t want to interfere with the process of investigations. We want police to investigate and extract the truth.”
He said Fransman, who was serving a second term as provincial leader, had a good track record and had publicly advocated for gender issues.
“We do not doubt his leadership. The chairperson is not in court and has not been arrested.”
Last week, Fransman said there was more to the “spurious allegations than meets the eye”. News24