The bail application of three suspects in connection with last month’s unrest and killings in Phoenix north of Durban, is expected to continue at the Verulam Magistrates Court on Tuesday.
Seelan Chetty, Owen Chinnasamy and Keillen Pillay are facing charges of attempted murder and malicious damage to property.
The State alleges they were among groups of people who shot at two vehicles twice while the motorists were looking for petrol. One car was set alight.
Over 300 people died in the weeklong unrest that swept through KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.
Meanwhile three more suspects who are accused of murder and attempted murder related to further killings in Phoenix- brothers Dylan and Ned Govender and Jeetendra Jaikissoon- will appear at the same court later this week. They are expected to appoint new legal counsel after their legal team withdrew during the bail application last week, citing ethical reasons.
Bail hearing of 3 accused in Phoenix killings postponed:
Police Minister Bheki Cele says the number of people, who have been arrested in connection with the killings at Phoenix, north of Durban, has increased to 31.
At least 36 people were killed in Phoenix during the unrest and looting last month. Cele was addressing residents of KwaMadlala informal settlement in Lamontville, south of Durban, on Sunday, at a community engagement following the death of a woman during a police operation to retrieve looted goods in the area.
As investigations continue, the special team of detectives has made more arrests. Cele says the number of people behind bars now stands at 31.
“People that have been arrested in Phoenix are now 31. Some of them you know they were 22 and they are added, they will be going to court, but all together they are 31. We expect the number to grow, when it comes to the people that are regarded as instigators the figure has remained 12, but that figure does not end there because there are many that have been identified and police are identifying more people going forward,” says Cele.