The haj fraternity has ironed out the problems experienced by 20 hujjaj in the Boland. The South African Haj Travel Association chairperson Sedick Steenkamp confirmed on Sunday that the pilgrims will depart on time on Monday 1 September as planned. The South African Haj and Umrah Council (Sahuc) had been instrumental in handling the issue, Steenkamp said.
“Booleys haj jamaah [in Gauteng] will take full responsibility for all hujjaj in the Saudi Kingdom and has pledged full support for the hajjis,” he said.
“We make shukr to Allah swt who guided us through this difficult week.”
Last week it emerged that 20 hujjaj ran into trouble with the Boland Haj Jamaah, as the travel operator had failed to hand over monies in full to Booley’s, whom he had merged with. Boland Haj Jamaah’s Ebrahim Jooste, the operator in question, had only signed up 27 hujjaj, falling short of the minimum of 50 pilgrims needed for haj, as stipulated by the Saudi Ministry of Haj’s regulations.
Booley’s agreed to allow Jooste’s pilgrims to travel with the group, but struggled to get him to pay his part of the travel arrangements in full. Sathoa confirmed that Jooste’s clients had paid their packages in full before the trouble started two weeks ago.
Steenkamp said the regulator and Sathoa had engaged with all the parties concerned to resolve the matter amicably.
“Sahuc and Sathoa wishes all affected hujjaj a smooth and pleasant haj. We wish them haj maqbool and mabroor, InshAllah.” VOC