The annual minstrels carnival parade in Cape Town has been postponed due to logistic reasons, carnival president Richard Stemmet said on Monday.
“The parade is postponed to Saturday, January 10.”
He said they could not host the parade on Monday because it was the first working day of the year and buses were not available to transport people.
The other reason was the unavailability of a venue for VIPs.
“The area we used to host VIPs is used for parking and the owners have indicated that it will not be available on Monday.”
The event was moved from the original date of January 3 for religious reasons.
Cape Town mayor Patricia de Lille said the city was not officially informed that the parade was cancelled.
“We have not been officially informed,” she said.
In November, the city along with the province signed an agreement with the newly formed Cape Cultural and Carnival Committee which would guide the way forward and to ensure successful annual events.
In discussions with the city, the associations and boards allied to the Cape Town Minstrels Carnival events and competitions believed they were well aligned and ready to organise the events themselves.
“They requested that the city play a supportive role, as in previous years, rather than a co-ordinating role… It is their own doing that the event is not taking place.”
She said the city had already given the committee R2 million to organise the events along with city support services valued at R1.65m, while the province also gave the committee a total of R2.35m.
“The responsibility rests solely with them to ensure that the events take place and that the money is used to ensure that the events take place successfully.” SAPA