An alleged serial rapist, at this stage facing 23 rape charges, abandoned his intended bail application when he made his second appearance in court on Wednesday.
The man, aged 33, may not be identified until he pleads to the charges.
He was arrested on May 10, and made his first appearance in the Bellville District Court, before magistrate Ronald Rieckerts, the next day.
At Wednesday’s proceedings, his legal aid lawyer, Robyn Diedericks, told the court that her client had abandoned his intended bail application – for the time being.
The prosecutor, Stefans Venter, said the State would oppose the application, in any event.
He said the accused still faced 23 charges of rape, but that the investigation was still far from complete.
At the State’s request, the case was postponed to August 18, for further investigation, and the court ordered that the man remain in custody until then.
The man was arrested in the Epping Industrial area, after extensive investigations involving the Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences provincial task team.
A police statement said the man’s method of operation was to approach his victims, threaten them, and rob them of jewellery and money, before raping them.
He was arrested after forensic tests linked him to the alleged rapes of 23 women.
A police spokesperson said the rapes were perpetrated over a period of five years, in the Delft area on the Cape Flats, as well as in Khayelitsha.
According to the statement, seven of the victims, aged between 18 and 28, had been traced so far.[Source: African News Agency]