From the news desk

Case against Krejcir and seven others postponed

Share this article
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The case against Czech fugitive Radovan Krejcir and seven others accused of conspiring to kill a police officer and a forensic investigator was postponed to next Wednesday in the Palm Ridge Magistrate’s Court, sitting as the High Court in Johannesburg, on Friday.

”The case against all of you is postponed until Wednesday, that is the 29th,” said Judge Geraldine Borchers.

Krejcir, along with taxi boss Siboniso Miya, Owen Serero, Zodumo Biyela, crime intelligence officer Sergeant Nandi Nkosi, Welcome Nkanyiso Mafunda, Siphiwe Memela, and Mike Grigorov – allegedly plotted to kill Colonel Nkosana “Killer” Ximba and forensic investigator Paul O’Sullivan.

Ximba and O’Sullivan were apparently involved in investigations involving Krejcir.

Grigorov, a Bulgarian, was reportedly Krejcir’s accountant. Nkosi allegedly supplied her co-accused with information.

Krejcir was not present for the postponement.

Representation

On Wednesday the lawyers for the accused expected to be in a position to brief Borchers on who was representing whom, as Biyela, for example, might be changing representation. They hoped this would be finalised by Wednesday.

”We don’t want it [a change] to happen on the trial date or the week before it happens,” said Borchers.

She also hoped to be able to finally set a trial date on Wednesday.

Borchers was also asked by some of the accused’s counsel if it would be possible to place all of the accused in the same prison to make consultation ahead of trial easier and less expensive.

Borchers said she was not sure whether that was her call to make, so the lawyers would look into this on their own and make an application to her if necessary.

Krejcir has been moved to Zonderwater prison in Cullinan outside Pretoria, and travel plans among the police escorts for the accused included a trip to Modderbee prison in Benoni.

Bail was extended for Biyela.

Louka allegation

On Tuesday one of Krejcir’s former associates, George Louka, made the startling, untested allegation to Borchers in a separate case, that it was actually Krejcir who killed strip club franchise owner Lolly Jackson, and not him.

Louka made the allegation from his wheelchair during an unsuccessful application to be allowed to go home to his wife and four children in Cyprus because he is gravely ill and might die.

He said this by way of explanation for why he fled the country after Jackson was killed. He said he had been present when Jackson and Krejcir had argued over money on May 3 2010 and claimed Krejcir allegedly shot Jackson.

He said he called Major General Joey Mabasa after the shooting, but also claimed Mabasa and Krejcir were in cahoots. He was not cross-examined on his statement and Borchers repeatedly tried to steer Louka from these claims to the issue at hand – his application for medical release.

Louka was sent back to the high security Kgosi Mampuru II prison in Pretoria after that application.

Heavily armed policemen lined the court’s walls and guarded the entrance for the short hearing on Friday. News24


Share this article
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
WhatsApp WhatsApp us
Wait a sec, saving restore vars.