Voice of the Cape

Local

Metrorail services on track

As Capetonians restarted the working week on Monday, Metrorail said its services were back on track. Last week, train services were halted after vandals cut signal cables on the Phillip line, leaving hundreds of thousands of commuters stranded. Vandals first struck last Wednesday leaving cables in 25 areas ruined. On[…]

Read »

ACDP at pro-Israeli rally

Israel has the same right to existence as other democratic states, ACDP president Kenneth Meshoe said on Sunday. “We are here to say we do not believe what is coming out of the media, we can read and we know the truth,” African Christian Democratic Party leader Meshoe said at[…]

Read »

Lwandle inquiry extended

The term of the inquiry into the removal of people from Sanral-owned land in Cape Town has been extended, spokesman Vusi Tshose said on Sunday. Human Settlements Minister Lindiwe Sisulu granted a request from inquiry chairman Denzil Potgieter for the inquiry to be extended until September 30, he said in[…]

Read »

Palestine supporters protest at SA Zionist rally

Pro-Palestine supporters had gathered outside the Huddle Park Golf Course in Linksfield on Sunday, to protest against a rally being held by the SA Zionist Federation in support of the end the Middle East conflict. Heavily armed police and security guards were stationed at the entrance to the venue. The[…]

Read »

Metrorail to return to normal

Metrorail will on Monday be restoring all its services to the areas on the Cape Flats affected by vandalism this week. Vandals butchered signal cables on the Phillpi line, leaving Metrorail property severely damaged and thousands of commuters stranded. Railway lines from Phillipi onwards were damaged where the railway line[…]

Read »

Lonmin guards ill-prepared for strikers

Lonmin mine security guards were ill-prepared to manage thousands of the company’s striking employees in August 2012, the Farlam Commission of Inquiry heard on Friday. “The impression from the incident of the 12th (August 2012) is that your security people were not prepared to deal with the crowd,” Sesi Baloyi,[…]

Read »

Man attacked by shark in Muizenberg

A 20-year-old man was bitten by a white shark while surfing at Muizenberg Beach, Cape Town, on Friday, the National Sea Rescue Institute said. A friend helped him out of the water, spokesman Craig Lambinon said in a statement. “He was found with multiple lacerations to his lower limbs, some[…]

Read »

SA at root of US, Africa trade: Davies

South Africa has been at the centre of exploring trade opportunities between the United States and Africa, Trade and Industry Minister Rob Davies said on Thursday. “We’ve been the root of exploring the free trade area with the US… and that is a point which is important,” he told Sapa[…]

Read »

Court silences Ramphele fraud claims

The Western Cape High Court has ordered that Agang SA’s new leaders must refrain from implicating former party leader Mamphela Ramphele in fraud allegations, her attorney said on Thursday. “These allegations are untrue, without any merit and in fact malicious and defamatory,” Danie Rossouw said in a statement. He said[…]

Read »

SA envoy urges Gaza ceasefire

South Africa’s two special envoys to the Middle East, Aziz Pahad and Zola Skweyiya, on Thursday called for an unconditional ceasefire in Gaza, before they headed to Qatar to meet Hamas. “South Africa is calling on the protagonists to the conflict to conclude an immediate and unconditional ceasefire that will[…]

Read »
WhatsApp WhatsApp us