A Gugulethu man, arrested in connection with multiple cases of murder and rape in the Cape Peninsula during recent months, appeared in the Goodwood Magistrate’s Court on Monday, Cape Town police said.
“The suspect appeared on a rape case and we are currently in the process to formulate further charges. The detail of these cases are not disclosed at this stage,” said Captain FC van Wyk.
Van Wyk said the suspect would appear in court again next week, and that more details were not immediately available.
He would not comment on whether the man who appeared was an alleged serial rapist.
On Wednesday, the man was arrested in connection with multiple cases of murder and rape.
On December 21, mayor Patricia de Lille said the decomposing bodies of five women had been discovered close to the Century City and Akasia train stations in Cape Town over the past ten months.
“All the women were found naked, with their hands tied behind their backs. No arrests have been made thus far,” she said in a statement at the time.
“The SA Police Service is still at an early stage in their investigation as they explore possible links to a serial killer.”
De Lille offered a R50,000 reward to anyone who could assist police in arresting those behind the murders.
Police confirmed the killings but could not confirm that the murders were linked. SAPA