From the news desk

DA conditions for anniversary bash ‘impractical’: ANC

Share this article
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The ANC plans to either approach the SA Human Rights Commission or Parliament over how it was treated by the city of Cape Town in the run-up to its 103rd anniversary celebrations.

“Conditions were imposed on us by the city to frustrate us to ensure our rally did not succeed,” African National Congress spokesman Zizi Kodwa said on Wednesday.

“Everything undemocratic was done in the Western Cape, meant to keep all darkies out of Cape Town and keep Cape Town uncontaminated.”

Kodwa claims the city asked the ANC to go to Computicket for tickets to last week’s rally at the Cape Town Stadium.

“That condition is impractical, you can’t implement it. The majority of our people don’t have access to Computicket or the internet.”

Kodwa said the ANC’s rally posters, its fonts and design were also regulated and posters had to be reproduced as the city was not happy with the first batch published.

He said hawkers were not allowed to sell anything at the stadium and the movement of people was restricted.

Kodwa further claimed that the city’s metro police were instructed to look out for intoxication, make on the spot arrests and release the information to the media.

Kodwa says the party was looking at two options to deal with the city –either lodging a complaint with the SAHRC or asking Parliament to investigate and find out who instructed the city to impose the decisions.

Zara Nicholson, spokeswoman for Cape Town mayor Patricia de Lille, welcomed any kind of investigation.

“During the past week, we have witnessed how uncomfortable and unfamiliar the ANC leadership are when they experience a well-run government that adheres to legislation, policy and contractual obligations,” she said.

“Despite the ANC’s hysterics, their inflated sense of entitlement and the unsurpassed pressure they have placed on city officials, we have at all times conducted ourselves respectfully and stuck to legislation, policy and the stadium-hiring contract … and therefore welcome any investigation.”

Nicholson said it was concerning that the ANC interpreted good governance as a form of sabotage.

She said an access security system was put in place by the SA Police Service for the ANC birthday celebration, as it was for major events.

“This is their call [SAPS] as they are ultimately responsible for crowd and safety management issues at major events,” said Nicholson.

She said wristbands were made for the public and tickets for VIP guests.

“The access control system (ticketing) was in place to ensure the safety of those who attend the event and is a requirement of national legislation.

“That national legislation was enacted as a direct response to the tragic events in 2001 when more than 40 people were killed due to overcrowding and lack of control at the Ellis Park Stadium.”

Nicholson said the city carried the cost of the tickets and wristbands.

“These were available for collection from various points such as the ANC offices and on the trains and buses which transported people to the event,” she said.

“Regarding the process for booking the stadium, the city of Cape Town followed due process at all times… The ANC and the city signed an agreement finalising the plan and logistical arrangements for their event. For the ANC to still complain at this stage is ridiculous.”

Nicholson said all event organisers who used the stadium were subject to the same terms and conditions.

“No changes to this procedure have been made for the ANC event,” she said. SAPA


Share this article
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
WhatsApp WhatsApp us
Wait a sec, saving restore vars.