From the news desk

Dewani London inquest postponed

Share this article

The inquest into Anni Dewani’s murder in South Africa will resume on October 9 in London with a list of unanswered questions for her husband Shrien.

Coroner Andrew Walker said in brief proceedings he did not think there would be any point to the inquest, because Anni’s death on November 13 2010 had already been investigated in South Africa. He could also not force anybody to travel to London to testify at the inquest.

Anni’s family believes the inquest is their last chance to find out what really happened to their daughter while the couple were on their honeymoon in Cape Town.

On October 9, they can hand over their list of questions for Shrien and he can decide whether he answers them or not.

“Just tell us what happened,” said Anni’s uncle Ashok Vindocha outside the court on Wednesday.

Dewani was arrested for Anni’s murder on December 8 2010 after he said they had been hijacked on their way back from a seaside dinner in Cape Town.

Her body was found in the vehicle the next day. She had been shot dead.

Dewani always maintained his innocence, but emails about trouble in their relationship and reports about his penchant for sessions with German bondage specialist, Leopold Leipold, raised questions.

One of the emails Anni wrote to him read: “I left my home, family and everything to be with you and three days later you say that if you knew marriages were like this, you wouldn’t [have] got married. Seriously, do you want me to leave you?”

“It’s very mean of you to tell me things you told me just after marriage.

“Then you should have told me this before. I don’t want an insecure man or a man whose feelings doesn’t come naturally that you have to force yourself.”

Sexuality irrelevant

Dewani went back to the UK where his wealthy family owns a retirement facility business.

He was eventually extradited to a psychiatric facility in Cape Town where he was treated for post-traumatic stress disorder while awaiting trial.

On December 8 2014, Western Cape High Court Judge Jeanette Traverso found that the State’s case was too weak, and that Dewani was not guilty of her murder and was free to go.

She also found his sexuality irrelevant, dashing the State’s hope of proving that this was his motive for killing her.

There was disbelief over Traverso’s ruling and lobby groups Justice4Anni and Higher Education Transformation Network (HETN) complained that she had been friendly towards Dewani’s lawyers, but rude and aggressive to State prosecutor Adrian Mopp during the trial. The Judicial Conduct Committee cleared Traverso saying their opinions were not based on fact.

Dewani had been charged with conspiracy to commit kidnapping, robbery with aggravating circumstances, murder, kidnapping, and defeating the ends of justice for arranging the alleged hit, but has not had to testify.

However, the court did find others guilty of her murder.

Xolile Mngeni, who was sentenced to life in prison for firing the shot that killed Anni died last October of a brain tumour.

Shuttle driver Zola Tonga was jailed for 18 years for his part in the murder in terms of a plea bargain, and hotel receptionist Monde Molombo became a state witness. News24

Share this article
WhatsApp WhatsApp us
Wait a sec, saving restore vars.