From the news desk

Elderly Heideveld woman left with nothing after blaze

Share this article
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

A 76 year old woman has been left displaced after a fire left her Heideveld home in ruins.

Janap Mathews had been visiting her neighbour when she was alerted to a haze of smoke coming from her house on Thursday morning.

“Aunt Jane just told her, Janap look your house is burning down and I ran,” says daughter-in-law Umarah Samuels.

The fire had started from the kitchen and spread to the rest of the house. Authorities suspect the blaze was sparked by an electrical fault.

The elderly Heideveld resident has now been stripped of all her possessions and is left without shelter. The only items that remain in her possession are her I.D. and bank cards.

“We are so grateful that her ID and cards didn’t get damaged because those things take months to replace,” says Samuels.

She is now residing at a different family members homes each night.

“She keeps saying she can’t believe this has happened and says all she misses is having her own bed.”

Mathews’ family has appealed to the community to assist in providing either supplies or funding.

“We would just like to ask the community if they could donate whatever they can to her because she really is left with nothing,” Samuels adds.

Those seeking to assist the family are advised to contact Moosa at 0827528137 or Mariam at 0792775128 .VOC (Nailah Cornelissen)


Share this article
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
WhatsApp WhatsApp us
Wait a sec, saving restore vars.