The South African embassy in Mali is assisting with the repatriation arrangements for a South African man who was killed during the siege of a hotel in the country, the department of international relations said on Sunday.
“The embassy is liaising with the authorities and the embassy will provide consular assistance to the family,” said departmental spokesperson Nelson Kgwete.
He said this included “facilitating the arranging of the repatriation of the mortal remains of the South African”.
The 38-year-old victim from Pretoria was working for an aviation company connected to the United Nations in Mali. He has been identified by Eyewitness News as father-of-four, Roelof Janse van Rensburg.
Two other South Africans were also in Hotel Byblos in Sevare when the attack broke out on Friday. However, they were unharmed after being rescued by the UN, the Gift of the Givers said earlier this weekend.
AFP reported that at least twelve people were killed during the siege that was finally ended when government troops stormed the building. News24