The Western Cape Drivers Alliance will embark on strike action in Cape Town on Wednesday where the group will hand over a memorandum of grievances to the Premier of the Western Cape. A spokesperson from the alliance, who asked not to be named, says that the organization consists of taxi drivers of former taxi drivers that have been on the road for many years. Strike action for this week was called as a result of the driver’s grievances not being responded to.
“A memorandum was handed over last month to Reggie Springleer from the City of Cape Town. He received the memo but has not yet responded,” he explained.
This memorandum was handed over on the 11 October 2015 and this Wednesday the memorandum will be again handed over to the premier in the hopes that she will respond to it accordingly.
According to the alliance, the current taxi drivers and ex taxi drivers were not involved in the negotiation of the MyCiti bus service. The organisation says that more than a half a billion rand has been mentioned in the transport public portfolio document for the local commuter transport services currently in process.
“Where do we as drivers feature in this process and what percentage of the permit holder payout will we be entitled to? In what capacity have we as drivers been considered in the negotiation process even when the MyCiti commuter services were established.”
“The only benefit that we as taxi drivers derive from this undemocratic system in the local transport system process is a criminal record and a substantial amount owing in government fines.”
The group claimed that drivers have lost millions of rands as a result of the transport application system whilst government is contemplating a forced tax structure to the industry.
“This strike is our next step of creating awareness on what is going on in the taxi industry.”
The march will start at 10 am on Wednesday morning in Kaizergracht and the drivers will walk to the Premiers office in the CBD to hand over the memorandum.
“It is a legitimate strike, we got the permit on Friday; we spoke to SAPS and the City on how the march should be conducted,” the organisation concluded. VOC