From the news desk

Govt seeking clarity on Tunis casualties

Share this article
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Government is trying to verify reports that South African citizens are among those wounded in an attack on a museum in the Tunisian capital Tunis, Deputy International Relations and Co-operation Minister Luwellyn Landers said on Thursday.

“Officials from the SA embassy in Tunis are working with authorities to verify reports that South African citizens were among those affected by the attack,” he said in a statement.

Landers said government was waiting for official confirmation from the Tunisian authorities through the South African embassy.

Two gunmen killed 17 foreign tourists and two Tunisians in an attack at the Bardo National Museum in Tunis on Wednesday.

Earlier on Thursday, it was reported that a South African woman was among those injured in the attack.

She was a passenger aboard the cruise liner MSC Splendida, which was docked at the port of La Goulette, Tunis. Some of the passengers had gone on a visit to the museum.

“MSC Cruises SA has confirmed there are 78 South Africans on board the MSC Splendida. All of these passengers are accounted for. One passenger was injured in the attack and was swiftly taken to a local hospital where she is receiving relevant treatment,” the company said in a statement.

It said the woman’s husband had disembarked and remained with her, and MSC had set up a crisis team to help.

Landers said the South African government condemned the attack on innocent civilians.

“We reiterate our stance that terrorism in any form and from whichever quarter cannot be condoned,” he said. SAPA


Share this article
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
WhatsApp WhatsApp us
Wait a sec, saving restore vars.