Former Palestinian hunger striker Muhammad Allan is expected to be moved to An-Najah National University Hospital in Nablus in the northern occupied West Bank, his father, Nasser al-Din Allan, told Ma’an Saturday.
Muhammad Allan, 31, agreed to end a 66-day hunger strike on Aug. 20 when Israel’s top court suspended his administrative detention. He entered a coma twice before the hunger strike was through.
Allan has been receiving treatment at Barzilai Medical Center in Ashkelon, Israel, where his father feels he is not safe.
His father said he wanted to move Allan “out of the hostile atmosphere” to a more pleasant atmosphere in order to improve his treatment. The father highlighted that an “extremist Jewish man threatened to reach the door of Muhammad’s room in the Israeli hospital.”
Allan’s father said his family believe such remarks pose real threats to Allan’s life.
Director of An-Najah National University hospital Salim Hajj Yahya confirmed that Allan could be safely moved to Nablus after he visited Allan at Barzilai Medical Center and reviewed his medical records, Allan’s father said.
Yahya added that Allan would need two to three months at the Nablus hospital to fully recover.
Allan’s lawyer will submit medical reports Sunday to Israeli courts and request the transfer. The lawyer said the court is expected to approved the request.
The Palestinian Minister of Health said Monday that Allan had been in stable health condition and that his health was improving gradually.
However, there have been fears that Israel may reimpose his administrative detention if his health improves.
The Israeli High Court ruled that if Allan’s health did not improve, the detention order would be revoked entirely, but if there was an improvement, the detention could be reimposed.
The lawyer started his hunger strike in protest against his detainment under the policy of administrative detention, which allows prisoners to be held without charge or trial for renewable six-month periods, indefinitely.
Before his release, Allan had been held under administrative detention for nine months.
The Prisoners’ Center for Studies said Friday that 85 percent of all Palestinian prisoners held under Israel’s controversial administrative detention have their six-month detainment renewed.
Allan\s hunger strike has sparked new calls for Israel to curb its use of administrative detention under which prisoners may be held without trial or charge for renewable six-month periods, indefinitely.
Israeli officials claim it is an essential tool in preventing attacks and protecting sensitive intelligence because it allows authorities to keep evidence secret.
However, it has been strongly criticized by the international community as well as both Israeli and Palestinian rights activists.
They say that international law allows for such detention only under extreme circumstances, but that Israel uses it as a punitive measure on a routine basis to circumvent the justice system or as a crutch to avoid trial.
Activists have called on Israeli authorities to charge or release those held under administrative detention.
There are currently 400 Palestinians being held in Israeli jails without charge or trial under the policy. MAANNEWS