Islamic State has said it carried out the deadly bombing at a Shia mosque in eastern Saudi Arabia on Friday, the second attack in the country claimed by the group in a week.
The interior ministry said four people were killed when a car exploded outside al-Anoud mosque in Dammam during noon prayers., Witnesses said a suicide bomber disguised as a woman blew himself up in the car park when guards stopped him from entering the building.
Residents circulated photographs of the body of a man believed to be the attacker as well as images of black plumes of smoke billowing above the car park.
Video posted on social media showed the congregation inside the mosque reacting with shock and alarm to the noise of the blast.
Isis named the bomber as Abu Jandal al-Jizrawi and said he had managed to reach his target despite heightened security.
The group claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing last week at a Shia mosque in al-Qadeeh village, near al-Qatif city. It was the bloodiest radical attack in the kingdom in years, claiming the lives of 21 people as well as wounding almost 100 others.
Isis acknowledges it is trying to stir sectarian confrontation as a way of hastening the overthrow of the ruling Al Saud family, and has urged young Saudi Sunnis in the kingdom to attack targets including Shia.
State news agency SPA quoted an interior ministry spokesman as saying security forces became suspicious of a car parked near the mosque in Dammam. The vehicle exploded as they walked towards it, killing four people and setting cars beside it on fire. One of those killed was suspected of being the driver.
Activists said young men conducting searches at the mosque began to suspect someone trying to enter the building dressed in women’s clothes and stopped him. They said the bomber turned away and exploded between cars, killing at least two people. The Guardian