Residents in Kraaifontein are reeling after the shocking discovery of six dead bodies just off Lucullus Street in the area. The deceased, all men aged between 18 and 36, were found bound with wounds indicating they were likely stabbed and stoned to death.
On Thursday Western Cape Western Cape Police commissioner, Arno Lamoer, confirmed that at least four of the six bodies had been identified. With a resident claiming that a house break-in took place a few hours prior to the discovery, some have suggested that the crime may be linked to mob justice.
With the death of a single individual shocking enough, Kraaifontein CPF chairperson, Mawethu Sila, said the sight of six men brutally murdered had left the community speechless. He described the scene as horrific, to the point where facial recognition of the bodies had been impossible.
He said the community was doing its best to assist the police, in terms of providing information and details towards the investigation.
Despite suggestions that the incident may be linked to vigilantism, Sila was reluctant to speculate as to who may have been responsible for the murders.
“As a community we are relying on the police investigators to investigate the matter. We don’t want to jeopardize their investigation, but if we do have links we will then also inform (the police),” he said.
He urged community members in the area with any possible leads on the case, to immediately approach the police. For those who feared having their name attached to the case, he said they could still provide information whilst remaining anonymous.
“The police are trying their level best to get down to the bottom of the story, and we are appealing to our community that whatever links (they may have), they must come to the police station,” he urged.
There is a reported R250 000 reward for those who come forward with information that may lead to arrests. VOC (Mubeen Banderker)