Outstanding cellphone records are the reason for the latest postponement of the attempted murder, drugs and kidnapping case against Czech fugitive Radovan Krejcir and five others on Friday.
The matter was postponed to Monday, May 18, after Annelene van den Heever, for Krejcir, told the court that cellphone records from service provider Vodacom were still outstanding. Her legal team had been informed that they would receive them by 11:00.
“We still need time to peruse the data so we wouldn’t have enough time [today],” she said after court adjourned.
Krejcir, Desai Luphondo, Warrant Officers Samuel Modise Maropeng and George Jeff Nthoroane, Jan Lefu Mofokeng and Siboniso Miya are on trial on charges of dealing in drugs, attempted murder, and kidnapping. They all pleaded not guilty to the charges.
On Wednesday, Judge Collin Lamont granted an application to recall witness Peter Msimango and to get his cellphone records for the period 23 to 29 June 2013, and for November 18, 2013.
He instructed in his order that the records be delivered to counsel and to his registrar. His registrar would sift through the records to establish which are, in fact, Msimango’s.
He said that during Msimango’s testimony, which was interrupted when the cellphone records were not available, there was tacit agreement that he would return if necessary.
MTN and Cell C had submitted their records on Thursday, Van den Heever said.
The defence hopes that the records will disprove some of the claims that Krejcir ordered the kidnap and torture of a man whose brother had allegedly disappeared with 25kg of the drug tik. News24