From the news desk

Krejcir ‘not happy’ after sentencing delayed

Share this article
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Czech fugitive Radovan Krejcir and his co-accused will have to wait until next month to hear their sentence for trying to kidnap and attempting to murder a Katlehong man.

Krejcir and five others appeared before Judge Colin Lamont in the High Court in Johannesburg on Friday.

The matter was promptly postponed to October 12 because Krejcir’s lawyer, Annelene van den Heever, was still off because of medical reasons.

She fell and injured her knee several weeks ago, forcing her to undergo knee surgery.

Guilty verdict

Meanwhile, the six men were last month found guilty of attempted murder, kidnapping and dealing in drugs.

Krejcir, Desai Luphondo, Warrant Officers Samuel Modise Maropeng, George Jeff Nthoroane, Jan Lefu Mofokeng and Siboniso Miya had all pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Krejcir was accused of ordering the kidnap and torture of Bheki Lukhele, whose brother, Doctor, had allegedly disappeared with 25kg of tik. Doctor worked at a cargo company at OR Tambo International Airport.

According to previous testimony, Doctor disappeared with the tik he was supposed to get to Australia.

Lamont found Krejcir, Luphondo, Maropeng, Mofokeng and Miya guilty of the attempted murder of Lukhele. Nthoroane was found guilty only of common assault.

Lamont found all six men guilty on kidnapping charges.

Luphondo was the only one found guilty of dealing in drugs, while Krejcir and Miya were found guilty of the intent to deal in drugs.

This was the first conviction against Krejcir in the country. He is on trial in four separate matters in South Africa’s courts.

On Friday, he told journalists that he was not happy about the conviction.

“I am not happy about the postponements. I want to appeal,” he said. News24


Share this article
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
WhatsApp WhatsApp us
Wait a sec, saving restore vars.