An explosive affidavit disclosed during Radovan Krejcir’s murder trial has linked the Czech fugitive to convicted drug-dealer Glenn Agliotti, bribery of high-ranking police officials, and an alleged plot to kidnap businessman Patrice Motsepe.
It has bolstered claims of Krejcir’s involvement in the deaths of German supercar specialist Uwe Gemballa, alleged Bedfordview drug kingpin Sam Issa and conspiracy to murder investigators Colonel Nkosana “Killer” Ximba and forensic security consultant Paul O’Sullivan.
It was because of this sensitive document provided by the State that the trial in the high court in Joburg was stalled, as the defence representing Krejcir and his four co-accused needed time to consult their clients about the new evidence.
Krejcir, Siboniso Miya, Nkanyiso Mafunda, Siphiwe Memela and Borislavov Grigorov are charged with the 2013 murder of Issa, who was gunned down in his car in Bedfordview. The trial was due to start on Tuesday, but would probably continue on Wednesday because of the new evidence.
Lucky Mokwena wrote in his affidavit he was a former hired gun for Krejcir, and that he was introduced to the Czech by Agliotti.
Mokwena claims he was ordered by Agliotti, who was in turn asked by Krejcir, to break into the housing unit where Gemballa was living between 2008 and 2009 to steal a laptop and other valuables.
After conducting multiple robberies for Krejcir, the Czech allegedly asked Mokwena to break into Issa’s Bedfordview home, rob and murder him. Mokwena agreed, but claims he told Krejcir he didn’t have the ability to kill someone, and only stole 2kg of cocaine, 20 watches, R600 000, a cigar box and a Glock pistol.
Mokwena said that a few days later, Issa was killed, and Krejcir gloated about his death.
“I do know my friend Glenn Agliotti was present at MoneyPoint (Krejcir’s business) the night before Sam Issa’s death and he also knows that Radovan ordered the killing of Issa. This is because Krejcir was bragging and telling people he trusted that he was killing the cockroach’,” Mokwena claimed.
Mokwena also linked Krejcir to the 2013 killing of Phumlani Ncube, who the Czech allegedly also referred to as a “cockroach” as he believed Ncube was a police informant. Krejcir was also blamed for the conspiracy to kill Ximba and O’Sullivan, and Mokwena said he witnessed the discussions planning the intended hits.
The affidavit took an unexpected turn when it revealed that Krejcir allegedly wanted to kidnap and extort billionaire mining magnate Motsepe.
Mokwena claimed Krejcir asked a colleague in his presence to ensure a meeting with Motsepe regarding a possible mining deal in Lesotho. “The intention was to bring him closer to us so that he could be kidnapped and forced to transfer money from his (Motsepe’s) accounts to fraudulently opened accounts and then be killed,” Mokwena stated.
He said he was conducting surveillance on Motsepe and that Krejcir claimed the police officials he had paid off would track the billionaire’s cellphone to assist.
The affidavit lists the police and court officials Mokwena claims were paid off to make cases against the Czech disappear. It includes: the now suspended head of the Hawks Major-General Shadrack Sibiya; a Colonel van Heerden of the Hawks; Germiston Hawks officer Modise Saddam Maropeng, convicted with Krejcir in another case; a Captain Du Plessis of Bedfordview; a Captain Mogale; and an unnamed magistrate who drove a maroon Range Rover.
Responses to affidavit
Neither the police nor the specialised Hawks unit would say anything about Lucky Mokwena’s claims, while individuals implicated denied it all.
The SA Police Service redirected queries about the allegedly corrupt police officials to the Hawks’ media spokesman, Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi.
Mulaudzi told The Star that now that the issue had been brought before the court, the Divisional Commissioner of Detectives, Lieutenant-General Kotsi Nkomo, would be in charge of the investigation into the allegations.
“We are not in a position to comment further,” said Mulaudzi.
Major-General Shadrack Sibiya, through his lawyer Ian Levitt, said the allegations against him were “absolute nonsense”, with no truth to substantiate the claims.
“If the authorities want to investigate it, they must do so,” said Sibiya.
“It seems someone is bringing (Sibiya’s) name into this for their own dubious reasons,” said Levitt.
Sibiya said each case would be opened at police station level and assigned an investigating officer. He said logistically, he could play no role in having a case “disappear” as Mokwena had claimed.
He also noted he was aware that dozens of criminal cases had been opened against Mokwena himself.
Glenn Agliotti also denied the allegations made by Mokwena.
“Mokwena still has serious charges pending against him and I believe he will say anything to divert attention away from himself,” said Agliotti through Levitt.
Businessman Patrice Motsepe, through his spokeswoman, said he had never spoken with or had any business or other dealings with Krejcir or anyone associated with him. He also denied having pursued any mining interests in Lesotho.[Source: The Star]