Metrorail has stepped up security and has warned of delays on trains in Cape Town following vandalism and arson incidents over the past week.
SA police, Metrorail Protection Services and other law enforcement officials will be on high alert on Monday and monitor the situation, Metrorail said. Measures have been put in place to prevent further damage.
“People depend on trains and Metrorail will continue to transport them, even under difficult circumstances,” Metrorail regional manager Richard Walker said.
On Sunday Metrorail released a statement warning of limited or less frequent services on the Central service area, with delays and cancellations expected on the Northern service area due to vandalism and arson.
On Monday morning, many trains were running on time or slightly delayed, while others were delayed by up to 50 minutes. A few trains had been cancelled.
This comes after a train was set alight on Friday morning, and four carriages were torched in Kraaifontein. Later on Friday, another three train carriages were set alight at the Esplanade Station near Cape Town, causing transport chaos.
Last weekend, a pair of adjoining trains were set alight at Cape Town Station, resulting in the closure of platforms, and transport delays.
Metrorail had previously suggested those behind the arson attacks were illegal strikers.
Transport Minister Dipuo Peters on Sunday condemned the attacks.
“Law enforcement agencies are called upon to arrest perpetrators of this senseless destruction of property, criminality and sabotage,” Peters said in a statement.
Meanwhile, MyCiTi bus service warned on Monday morning that Table View feeder buses were affected by protest action in Dunoon.[Source: News24]