June Steenkamp has spoken about her feelings after the Supreme Court of Appeal ruled that Oscar Pistorius was guilty of the murder of her daughter, Reeva, overturning his culpable homicide conviction.
She attended proceedings in Bloemfontein on Thursday, while her husband Barry remained at their home in Port Elizabeth. No members of the Pistorius family were present in court.
In an interview with Sky News, Steenkamp said she was “overwhelmed emotionally” when the ruling was made, but she believed it was the right judgment.
“It was just emotional… something that has been going on for three years, and I just want recognition for who Reeva was, and for people to respect her and to love her like I did, like we did.
“The whole point was that he [Pistorius] did use those bullets, which are devastating, they crush your body inside. Anybody who picks up and uses a gun like that can only know that… somebody is going to be killed.”
Steenkamp said she believed justice had been served, and the appeal court ruling demonstrated that women can depend on the justice system.
“It’s justice for Reeva, and for all the women in South Africa, all the abused women and children that suffer, and that person gets away with it. I don’t think that’s something that’s going to happen anymore, I really don’t,” she said.
Turning to Pistorius, Steenkamp said she does not wish him any harm, but he must take responsibility for what happened. She added she did not really care how long he spent in prison, as long as he paid for what he did.
“I don’t think that he’s going to suffer in jail. I don’t think that it’s my fault that he’s suffering.
“He’s ruined his life… There’s no winners here… My daughter’s dead, our family is devastated living without her, and his family is devastated, and he is responsible for that.”
Looking forward, Steenkamp said she wanted to continue with her work with the Reeva Rebecca Steenkamp Foundation for Abused Women and Children.
Meanwhile, her husband, Barry, told News24 on Thursday he was not surprised by the ruling. “It’s over now,” he said, adding that both families could now get on with their lives. NEWS24