From the news desk

Outpouring of support for VOC’s Adiela Fortune

Share this article

There’s been outpouring of support for popular VOC presenter Adiela Fortune, after a sudden blaze completely gutted her home in Wynberg on Saturday evening. On Monday, Fortune said was “overwhelmed” by the flooding of support from family, friends and VOC listeners. Fortune and her family tragically lost everything in the fire and have to rebuild the house they once called a home.  Fortune said while she has received tons of messages of encouragement and prayers, she has also been offered many donations from the public.

“The support from the community and family, especially my neighbours has been tremendous. SubhanAllah after one of my family members posted it on Facebook there has been nothing but support. The response has been phenomenal… just the duas and prayers from people I do not know. It’s been unbelievable,” says Fortune.

While material items can easily be replaced, Fortune said she was saddened more by the fact that the special mementos that perished in the fire cannot easily be replaced.

“Its things like my photos and other sentimental things…I can never get back. That means more to me.”

The Morning Expresso presenter had been relaxing at home with her family when the fire erupted in the roof of her house. A neighbour alerted the family about the fire when seeing the smoke.

“We were all in the house and it had been burning when a neighbour ran in screaming that the upstairs area was smothered in smoke and flames. When I got there it was that bad,” says Fortune.

The family suspects that the fire was sparked by an electrical fault.

The roof of the Fortune home engulfed in flames
The roof of the Fortune home engulfed in flames

The most traumatic experience for Fortune was when she could not locate her five year old son Shakoor. In those moments, she thought the worst.

“I was hysterical. I ran upstairs and I shouted for him… I couldn’t find him. It was so traumatic I experienced an anxiety attack for the first time. I had nearly collapsed in the fire when my husband caught me before I collapsed,” Fortune recalls.

She eventually found him curled up under the kitchen table.

“Alhamdullilah, I am so grateful that he is safe and that we are all fine. It could’ve been so much worse,” says Fortune.

“This has brought our family together.”

Police and fire rescue teams were on the scene to distinguish the blaze however, there was very little they could salvage as the fire caused much structural damage. No one suffered any injuries.

The family is seeking trauma counselling.

“We received some counselling on the scene but my son needs some more therapy as he is taking it quite badly.”

The family welcomes any donations from the community.

For more information contact Salma on 021 374 0277; Rukaya on 082 6788 954 or VOC producer Zeriena Jacobs on 021 442 3519. VOC

Share this article
WhatsApp WhatsApp us
Wait a sec, saving restore vars.