The South African government on Thursday sent its condolences to relatives of the more than 700 Muslim pilgrims who were killed in a stampede near Mecca, in Saudi Arabia.
The government was still waiting for information on whether any South Africans were among the victims, the department of international relations and co-operation (Dirco) said in a statement.
Acting President Cyril Ramaphosa extended condolences to the relatives and countries of origin of those who had died.
BBC News reported that at least 717 people had been killed. The international relations department said the figure was “nearly 800” News24