Voice of the Cape

From the news desk

SAfricans in Al Aqsa okay

Share this article
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

A South African observing itikaaf in Masjidul Aqsa in Jerusalem says there is no truth to rumours that Capetonians have been killed at the sacred site. VOC News received unconfirmed reports that musallees from Tafelsig in Mitchells Plain who are currently in Masjidul Aqsa have been killed in violence. The broadcast messages made its rounds in the Mother city on Tuesday, raising the concerns of community members.

According to Sulayman Lukie, a Capetonian who works in Dubai, the claims are false and contrary to what outsiders are told, it is peaceful around the Al Aqsa compound.

“On Fridays, there are normally some protests but minimal interaction between Israeli soldiers and Palestinians,” he told VOC News.

The last reported incidents of violence occurred last Friday when dozens of youths gathered outside the Al-Aqsa moajid compound and in the Wadi El-Joz area to voice their dissent over Israel’s ground operation in Gaza.

Eyewitnesses said the Israeli soldiers stormed the mosque and clashed with the protesters. 15 Palestinians were reportedly injured by rubber bullets inside the masjid.  While Masjidul Aqsa is under occupation, Lukie said the people of Palestine are constantly praying for its liberation, as it is the third most sacred site in Islam.

“The fighters in Gaza are holding the banner of Islam despite the difficult conditions they are under. Please remember them in your duahs,” Lukie urged.

The Muslim Judicial Council (MJC) confirmed that no South Africans had been killed at Masjidul Aqsa. VOC (Ra’eesah Isaacs)


Share this article
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Comments

comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

WhatsApp WhatsApp us