The Ses’khona People’s Rights Movement announced on Thursday that it has cut ties with the ANC and has ended any active participation with the ruling party.
“Yesterday we met for the last time and having soberly applied our minds we resolve to close this subject… After careful considerations the consultative assembly reflected deeply on our involvement or association with the ANC.”
The movement also announced it will no longer promote the “political fortunes” of any political organisation.
It is believed that members are unhappy with the ANC over the party’s apparent failure to include them as candidates for the upcoming local government election.
There are also rumours that Ses’khona’s secretary-general, Loyiso Nkohla, has been in secret talks with the DA.
This was confirmed by ANC acting provincial chairman Khaya Magaxa on Wednesday.
He said the party had been informed on Tuesday night that Ses’khona leaders were planning to join the DA.
However, on Thursday morning the movement ruled this out.
Senior ANC members in the region claimed Nkohla was using the legitimate concerns raised by branches about the candidate lists to his advantage.
“The lists processes in the metro were chaotic and Ses’khona members were not being accommodated in the region,” one ANC member said.
“Ses’khona did not get any of these seats and it is no secret that Nkohla has been in meetings with the ANC’s national leadership over unhappiness with the lists,” said others.
ANC provincial secretary Faiez Jacobs said the party would respond formally once it had been informed of Ses’khona’s decision.
Ses’khona People’s Rights Movement leader Andile Lil, who serves in the ANC’s provincial leadership and is one of the ward candidates for the ANC, could not be reached for comment yesterday.
DA deputy leader in the province Bonginkosi Madikizela said: “I am talking to a number of people. It is the elections and I am campaigning. When the time is right we will reveal the names of prominent members who are joining us from the ANC.”[Source: Cape Argus]