A gun was fired during a protest outside a Khayelitsha ward councillor’s home on Saturday after a group of residents marched there to demand that she not stand as their representative.
The residents want the ANC councillor for Ward 18, Ntomboxolo Kopman, to step down. The protest at Kopman’s house on Saturday was the second incident in a week in which a Khayelitsha ward councillor wasn targeted.
The unrest is linked to in-fighting over the councillor candidate selection process.
On Saturday a protester, who declined to be named, said scores of residents wanted Kopman replaced as ward councillor.
“We want someone better. There were about 200 of us that went to her house. We want her to hear us.”
The protester said the group was toyi-toying outside the house. She said someone on Kopman’s property had emerged with a firearm.
“He came out and wanted to shoot us. We ran.”
The protester said she heard a sharp crack and realised the gun had been fired.
Police had arrived and shortly afterwards the group had left Kopman’s home.
Last night Weekend Argus contacted Kopman, but she said she could not chat.
Police spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Andre Traut confirmed the protest.
He said a group gathered outside a councillor’s home.
“One suspect was arrested for discharging a firearm,” he said. No one was wounded.
On Friday the home of another Khayelitsha ward councillor, Amos Komeni, was set alight. No one was arrested for this arson attack.
On Friday ANC provincial secretary Faiez Jacobs told Weekend Argus the targeting of Komeni was an isolated incident.[Source: Sunday Argus]