Gauteng Hawks head Maj-Gen Shadrack Sibiya has been served with a second suspension notice, the Hawks said on Wednesday.
“The notice of suspension was delivered to him personally this afternoon and he has been given five days to respond,” said Hawks spokesman Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi.
An application by Sibiya to get reasons behind his first notice of suspension was struck from the roll of the Labour Court in Johannesburg on Wednesday morning.
In court advocate Naomi Manaka said: “We have been advised that [the Hawks] have withdrawn the notice placing the applicant on precautionary suspension.”
She said that since the notice had been withdrawn, the request for details became moot. She asked that the matter be struck from the court roll. Judge David Gush did so.
Mulaudzi was questioned as to why the Hawks chose to withdraw the first notice of suspension.
“The reason why we withdrew the first notice of suspension was that the acting head of the Hawks went through Sibiya’s initial reply. He found that Sibiya was saying the first notice did not cover all the aspects of his suspension,” said Mulaudzi.
“[Sibiya] had questioned why there was no evidence. The evidence has been included in the second suspension notice,” said Mulaudzi.
The charge which has led to the notice of suspension reportedly related to Sibiya’s alleged involvement in facilitating the illegal rendition, or deportation, of Zimbabweans in November 2010.
Senior Hawks official Colonel Leslie Maluleke was also reportedly served with a notice of suspension last week.
Hawks boss Anwa Dramat was suspended on December 23 pending a probe into the alleged illegal deportations. SAPA