SA Rugby confirmed on Wednesday that the planned second Test match between the Springboks and Georgia had been cancelled due to COVID-19 infections detected in both camps.
The match was scheduled to take place at Emirates Airline Park on Friday night. However, following a review by the Medical Advisory Group (MAG) this morning, it was confirmed that the risk of further infection made it impossible to continue with the match.
The Springbok Playing and Management group returned 12 positive tests for COVID-19 this week, while Georgia had returned four.
“In the context of the loss of life and economic damage that COVID and this third wave are wreaking, the cancellation of a rugby match is pretty trivial,” said Jurie Roux, CEO of SA Rugby.
“But, it is still a major disappointment for the many stakeholders who have invested so much time, energy and resources into making these matches happen…”
Roux said that although there is disappointment over the cancellation, the team will continue their preparation.
“I especially feel for the fans and players, and for our visitors from Georgia who travelled here at relatively short notice to take on the series, which has now been cut short. We’ve not been able to interact with them because of the bio-secure environments, but I’d like to thank them publicly for their support,” said Roux.
“We continue to plan for the Springboks’ re-emergence from isolation and the completion of the Test series but in the short-term we wish a speedy recovery for those who have been infected.”
The enlarged Springbok squad’s travel plans are now being reviewed to comply with COVID-19 protocols.
A South Africa ‘A’ team is scheduled to play The British & Irish Lions at Cape Town Stadium on Wednesday, 14 July.
Note to editors: The Medical Advisory Group comprises the CEOs of SA Rugby and the British & Irish Lions, the chief medical officers of both organisations, two virologists and an infectious disease specialist.
Source : Fatima Said and SA Rugby Communications