Miners arrested and injured at Marikana want Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa to apologise and compensate all those who were affected, their lawyer said on Thursday.
Lawyer Andries Nkome confirmed to News24 that a summons was served on Ramaphosa at the end of October.
“The summons was served two weeks ago on the deputy president requesting him to apologise for the massacre that took place and to say it will never take place again and to compensate those people who were affected.”
Summons had also been served on government and Lonmin.
Ramaphosa’s lawyer Michael Katz would not comment on the summons.
The Presidency confirmed on Thursday that a summons had been served on Ramaphosa in his personal capacity.
“A summons has indeed been served on lawyers of Deputy President Ramaphosa arising from the Marikana tragedy,” his spokesperson Ronnie Mamoepa said in a statement.
“Deputy President Ramaphosa has instructed his lawyers to defend the action.”
Ramaphosa told Parliament on Thursday he could not answer questions about Marikana, as he had been issued with a summons.
“A summons has been issued against me in my personal capacity and two other parties arising from the events of Marikana and, as a consequence of that and on the basis of legal advice I have sought, I have informed the secretary of cabinet it would not be appropriate for me to get involved.”
On August 16 2012, police shot dead 34 striking mine workers at Lonmin’s mine in Marikana, in the North West. The remaining three were killed on August 13, among 10 killed in the week prior to the main shooting incident.
In August this year, the 275 miners arrested and injured launched a civil claim against government totalling just under R1bn.
Families of the 37 mineworkers killed filed their own claim against Police Minister Nathi Nhleko.
The families were represented by the Socio-Economic Rights Institute of SA (SERI), the Legal Resources Centre (LRC) and Wits Law Clinic. News24