The Table Mountain Safety Forum will be increasing safety on the Table Mountain chain, following a series of rapes at Rhodes Memorial involving UCT students. The Forum will be working closely with police and campus security to monitor the area as panic increases over the safety of students walking in the vicinity.
Chairperson of the Table Mountain Safety Forum Marc Truss says although three suspects have been taken in for questioning following the recent attacks.
In a recent incident, the attacker assaulted the woman before attempting to rape her in the vicinity of Mostert’s Mill.
The woman, who had been seriously injured, was assisted by the police and campus protection services (CPS) after being found on Rhodes Avenue, UCT said in a statement on Tuesday. Her attacker reportedly broke her jaw.
A second student reported that she had been raped by an unidentified man near the Rhodes Memorial restaurant on January 19.
The third woman is not a UCT student or staff member.
Three incidents have been reported since December 11, with Gerda Kruger, UCT’s executive director of the communication and marketing department, saying at the weekend: “These incidents have some similarities in terms of the modus operandi involved in the attacks. The first attack took place on December 11 when a female student was attacked and raped by an unidentified man as she was walking from Rhodes Memorial towards UCT.
The Forum said that people should not assume that the area is safe as it is traffic dense.
“It doesn’t mean it’s a high traffic area that it’s a safe area,” says Truss.
People are urged to be vigilant in the area a hot spot to youths and students.
“Be on the look out and be careful. Don’t walk alone,” says Truss. VOC