Hlaudi Motsoeneng

Motsoeneng not qualified for new SABC job: Cope

Former SABC COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng did not qualify for the new job he was given at the broadcaster, Cope said on Wednesday. The DA has also questioned the “speed and secrecy” of Motsoeneng’s appointment as group executive of corporate affairs, which the SABC announced on Tuesday. Cope spokesperson Dennis Bloem[…]

Read »

Presidency respects Hlaudi court ruling

The Presidency notes and respects the Supreme Court of Appeal’s (SCA) ruling on former SABC chief operating officer (COO) Hlaudi Motsoeneng, it said on Friday. “At the meeting between government and the judiciary last year, it was re-affirmed that government would respect court rulings,” said presidency spokesperson Bongani Ngqulunga. He[…]

Read »

Motsoeneng lawyer requests SABC to give way forward

The lawyer for SABC COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng Zola Majavu says he has written a letter to the SABC to request the way forward. Majavu’s statement comes after the Supreme Court of Appeal dismissed Motsoeneng’s application for leave to appeal the Western Cape High Court decision. He says: “What we have[…]

Read »

SABC news staff revolt with united ‘blackout’

SABC news journalists, in an open revolt against boss Hlaudi Motsoeneng, donned black on Friday to show their support for their fired #SABC8 colleagues and to protest against the national broadcaster’s censorship policies. The “blackout” was organised without a paper trail and with such secrecy that it caught SABC bigwigs[…]

Read »

Axed SABC journos ‘surprised and devastated’

The SABC caught its journalists unawares when it asked them to respond to their alleged misconduct, only to fire them. Special Assignment’s Busisiwe Ntuli and political journalist Lukhanyo Calata were busy preparing a response, which the SABC wanted by July 29 when they were summoned to the office on Tuesday[…]

Read »

Icasa orders SABC to scrap protest footage ban

Communications regulator Icasa has ordered the SABC to withdraw its resolution to not air violent public protests on television news. SABC chairman Professor Mbulaheni Maguvhe was directed to confirm in writing within seven calendar days that Icasa’s order has been complied with. Failure to do so could result in the[…]

Read »

SABC journalists want suspensions lifted

Certain suspended SABC journalists want their suspensions lifted following the indefinite postponement of their disciplinary hearings, trade union Solidarity said on Sunday. “The SABC hasn’t approached us formally but we intend to engage them for meetings,” said the union’s legal representative, Anton van der Bijl. “The ball is in the[…]

Read »

The SABC: going from crisis to catastrophe

OPINION by Shafiq Morton If the rot is not stopped, the SABC is well on its way to becoming a Broederbond-style puppet it was before 1994. THE censorious, high-handed, Stalin-esque edifice that currently passes for our national broadcaster today is a cause for grave concern. Admittedly, the SABC has been[…]

Read »

SABC protest meeting scheduled to plan further civil action

A civil society meeting to co-ordinate further protests against the SABC is scheduled to take place on Monday. The campaign is being organised by the Right2Know (R2K) campaign and the Save our SABC Coalition. Last week, R2K Durban spokesperson, Thabane Miya, said protests would continue until SABC chief operating officer,[…]

Read »

Media might have agenda against SABC – Motsoeneng

SABC COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng wonders whether privately-owned media has an agenda against the public broadcaster. He did not believe the SABC was censoring content and it reported the news as it was, he told journalists at its Auckland Park head office on Tuesday. He was happy people in the SABC[…]

Read »
WhatsApp WhatsApp us
Wait a sec, saving restore vars.