African Union (AU) chairperson and South African President Cyril Ramaphosa on Sunday welcomed the signing of a complete country-wide and permanent ceasefire agreement between rival forces in Libya. The agreement was signed in Geneva in Switzerland on Friday, October 23. “We congratulate all signatories for agreeing to this groundbreaking permanent[…]
Libya’s warring sides have signed an agreement for “a permanent ceasefire in all areas of Libya”, the United Nations Libya mission said in a ceremony in Geneva to sign the agreement. The UN on Friday said the two sides in the talks have reached the “historic achievement” with a immediate[…]
Turkey and Russia agreed on Wednesday to press for a ceasefire in war-ravaged Libya, but Ankara said the leader of the eastern forces was illegitimate and must withdraw from key positions for a credible truce to take hold. Moscow and Ankara are among the main power brokers in Libya’s conflict[…]
Libya’s National Oil Corp (NOC) has accused the United Arab Emirates of instructing eastern forces in Libya’s civil war to reimpose a blockade of oil exports after the departure of the first tanker in six months. The UAE, along with Russia and Egypt, supports the eastern-based self-styled Libyan National Army[…]
Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has warned the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) that the conflict in Libya has entered a new phase “with foreign interference reaching unprecedented levels”. Libya was plunged into chaos by the 2011 NATO-backed uprising that toppled and killed its longtime leader, Muammar Gaddafi. Since 2014, the oil-rich[…]
Arab foreign ministers said on Tuesday that they wanted to avoid a new battle in Libya and called for a truce as the warring sides mobilise near the main oil region as their foreign backers threaten an escalation. “Libya is passing through a dangerous turn in the course of its[…]
A fact-finding mission to Libya has been established by the United Nations’ top rights body after prosecutors from the International Criminal Court said that mass graves discovered recently may constitute war crimes. The UN Human Rights Council on Monday adopted by consensus a resolution strongly condemning all acts of violence[…]
Libya’s UN-recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) has said it will boycott talks on the conflict in the North African country to be held by Arab League foreign ministers next week. Foreign minister Mohamed Taher Siala told the bloc’s executive council on Friday that the planned meeting would “merely deepen[…]
The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has expressed “horror” at reports of at least eight mass graves being discovered in an area retaken last week by the country’s internationally recognised government from renegade military commander Khalifa Haftar’s forces. According to the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA), most[…]
The acting UN Libya envoy urged the Security Council on Tuesday to pressure foreign actors to stop helping the North African country’s warring parties, warning that the flood of weapons and mercenaries will only intensify fighting. The oil-producing state descended into chaos after the NATO-backed overthrow of leader Muammar Gaddafi[…]
Strictly Necessary Cookies
Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.
If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again.