Unisa management has forfeited its 2016 bonuses and put the R10m into a kitty for fees for deserving poor students, the university said on Wednesday. By its calculations, this will add to its existing contribution to top-up National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) funding in 2016 for undergraduate and postgraduate[…]
Classes at the University of the Witwatersrand are to resume on Monday‚ the university’s senior executive team said in a statement on Sunday. This follows weeks of violent protests by students demanding free education which saw classes being disrupted and cancelled. The protests saw a number of students‚ including student[…]
Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT) Vice Chancellor Dr Prince Nevhutalu on Friday announced an 8% increase in fees for 2017 for the 10% of students who can afford it. The other 90%, he told an assembly of stakeholders at CPUT’s Bellville campus, are students who either have NSFAS loans[…]
Although thousands of students agree with the study fee protests, they do not want to sacrifice their own qualifications for the cause, Wits University vice-chancellor Adam Habib said on Monday. He said he had received an enormous amount of letters saying this is just not fair. Students say they need to[…]
Higher Education Minister Blade Nzimande’s announcement on Monday that universities will shoulder the responsibility for fee increments for 2017 has agitated the #FeesMustFall movement. VOC News journalist Rafieka Williams, a Wits ulumna, decodes Nzimande’s speech. In what many thought would be a decisive moment, Minister of Higher Education Blade Nzimande[…]
‘Young activists of today stand on our shoulders and see what we have seen and more. But we do not provide a steady foundation.” These were the words spoken by African-American Professor Angela Davis at the 17th annual Steve Biko Memorial Lecture on Friday evening. Biko was killed in detention[…]
Student leaders throughout the country have drawn a line in the sand and dared government and universities to cross it. As discussions over fee increments for 2017 continue, student leaders say they are not prepared to toy with the idea of any increase, whatever the amount. “We have already made[…]
An interdict against a number of University of Cape Town students was made an order of court on Wednesday. As a result, five students find themselves effectively expelled, GroundUp reports. The five (of the original 16 named respondents) are not allowed on campus for an indefinite period of time, except[…]
The University of the Western Cape (UWC) is on lockdown as workers and students barricade all entrances the university with protests for higher wages and an end to outsourcing. Police have tried to disperse protesters with rubber bullets after workers chanted on university premises from all main entrances. Students watched[…]
A group of University of Cape Town (UCT) students and supporters of the Rhodes Must Fall movement laid charges against vice chancellor Max Price on Thursday. Western Cape police spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Andre Traut confirmed that charges of assault, malicious damage to property and intimidation were laid at Rondebosch police station.[…]
Strictly Necessary Cookies
Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.
If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again.