The University of Nairobi has suspended 139 more students for engaging in a strike, bringing to 201 the total number of learners sent home in the last two days.
On Tuesday, the institution suspended 62 students following chaos which rocked the university over claims of rigged students’ union elections.
Vice-Chancellor Prof Peter Mbithi, in a notice on the institution’s website, said those who have been suspended should collect their letters from the registrar’s office.
“The University of Nairobi has initiated disciplinary process against the following second batch of students for participating in student unrest and destruction of public property,” said Prof Mbithi.
“They are therefore required to collect their suspension letters from the Registrar, Students’ Affairs, latest by Friday, April 15, 2016,” added the VC.
The lists indicates some of the suspended students joined the institution this year.
Among the first batch of students to be sent home was Mike Jacobs, who said he was rigged out in favour of Mr Paul Ongili, also known as Babu Owino, during the Student Organisation of Nairobi University (Sonu) elections.
On Monday last week, students protested the re-election of Mr Ongili as Sonu chairman for the fourth time, arguing that the administration rigged him in.
The angry students razed down Sonu offices and also blocked a section of University Way and Uhuru Highway before police used tear gas to disperse them.
The university’s senate held a meeting the following day and resolved to close the university. Students were ordered to vacate the campus by 5pm.
The date for reopening of the university remains unknown.
Education Cabinet Secretary Dr Fred Matiang’i and his Interior counterpart Maj Gen (Rtd) Joseph Nkaissery have also held a meeting with the institution’s administration and said they would respect any decision made by the university concerning the strike.
[Source: All Africa]