From the news desk

University of Pretoria students of all races hold prayer meeting for second day

Share this article

For a second day in a row, a group of students of all races at the University of Pretoria raised their hands in prayer on Wednesday morning and called on God to bring an end to ongoing protests on campus.

“We are seeking the face of God for him to intervene and bring about peace,” said Thobeka Dlangalala.

“We are not just asking for peace but we need transformation here on our campus and I believe it starts with a change of heart.”

Hundreds of students gathered early in the morning for a prayer session and peaceful march around the campus. The group walked while praying before returning to the parking lot in front of the Hatfield campus to pray.

Students at the university have been protesting over its language policy. At least 27 people were arrested last week Friday for public violence and they appeared in court on Monday. Charges against three of them were dropped, leaving only 24 students to stand trial. Their case was postponed to April 7.

The university has been closed due to the ongoing student protests and violence.

Holding hands on Wednesday morning, they went down on their knees and raised their hands to pray. Dlangalala said the Christian community on campus felt there was too much hatred and anger going around.

“I believe everything on campus has gotten out of hand. There is just so much hate being thrown in all different directions. We feel as the body of believers on campus that nobody is coming up with solutions that are working and helping us. We are here to ask God to help us and help our country,” she said.

Tobie Snyman said he hoped for unity and that those at the forefront would turn to God for guidance and leadership.

“I’m hoping for unity and through these, I hope the people at the University of Pretoria will trust God for the promises he has made and what he is already doing. I believe doing something aggressively is not [right] and I don’t support what is happening from both sides,” he said.

The crowd dispersed shortly after 07:00 with the gates of the university remaining closed.

[Source: News24]
Share this article
WhatsApp WhatsApp us
Wait a sec, saving restore vars.