The South African Democratic Teacher’s Union (Sadtu) in the Western Cape says the feeding scheme rolled out at provincial schools on Wednesday, will defeat attempts to curb the spread of the coronavirus.
The provincial Education Department says it has put aside about R 18 million towards the feeding scheme for the remaining period of lockdown.
Sadtu Provincial Secretary, Jonavon Rustin says, “We propose that you could rather use the money available by making food packages for learners through Social Development. Sadtu will volunteer to do the distribution with Social Development, the NGO’s and the churches to make families food packages so that it becomes more sustainable. The plan currently is to feed them two days per week.”
SA’s COVID-19 cases rise
The number of coronavirus cases in South Africa has increased by 96, bringing the total to 1 845.
According to a statement released by the Minister of Health Dr Zweli Mkhize on Wednesday evening, Gauteng is still leading with 782 cases, followed by the Western Cape with 495 cases.
The deceased are all male and ages ranged from 49 to 70 years old.
There are more than 63 000 tests that have been conducted, an increase of more than 5600 from the last update.
The number of people who have recovered from the viral infection is now at 95
The Department of Health has also reported five more coronavirus-related deaths, bringing the total number to 18. “We convey our condolences to the families of the deceased and also appreciate the health workers that treated the deceased patients.”
KwaZulu-Natal, which has so far accounted for the greatest number of deaths, has 354 cases. The province has 9 deaths.
Source: SABC News