Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has warned the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) that the conflict in Libya has entered a new phase “with foreign interference reaching unprecedented levels”. Libya was plunged into chaos by the 2011 NATO-backed uprising that toppled and killed its longtime leader, Muammar Gaddafi. Since 2014, the oil-rich[…]
The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has expressed “horror” at reports of at least eight mass graves being discovered in an area retaken last week by the country’s internationally recognised government from renegade military commander Khalifa Haftar’s forces. According to the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA), most[…]
Libyan National Army leader Field Marshall Khalifa Haftar and Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad have been accused of conducting illegal drug smuggling operations by Libya’s Interior Minister Fathi Baghasha. In a social media post yesterday, Baghasha alleged that, “Haftar’s Army Investment Commission has been in collaboration with [the] Assad regime for[…]
Several significant powers signed a landmark agreement to limit foreign interference in the war in Libya and to push the country’s warring factions towards a peaceful end to the fighting. Speaking to journalists after a much-anticipated summit in Berlin, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said Sunday’s agreement advances[…]
Libya’s warring rival leaders will hold peace talks in Moscow on Monday alongside representatives from Russia and Turkey, Russian news agencies cited the Russian foreign ministry as saying. The talks come after a ceasefire in Libya, initiated by Turkey and Russia, saw a lull in heavy fighting and air strikes[…]
Libya’s Eastern commander Khalifa Haftar vowed on Thursday to continue his military offensive against forces loyal to the UN-recognised Government of National Accord (GNA), in an apparent rejection of a ceasefire call from Turkey and Russia. In a statement read by spokesman Ahmad al-Mesmari, Haftar said that a revival of the[…]
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday said that Turkish forces had begun deploying to Libya after parliament approved the move last week. “Our soldiers’ duty there is coordination. They will develop the operation centre there. Our soldiers are gradually going right now,” he told CNN Turk broadcaster during an[…]
At least 10 people have been killed and 35 wounded in an air attack that hit a biscuit factory in Libya in what a senior United Nations official said was a possible war crime. The majority of those killed in the attack on Monday in Wadi Rabea, 21 kilometres (13[…]
At least 40 people have been reported killed and dozens injured after an air attack hit a wedding ceremony in southwestern Libya, according to media reports. Reports said forces loyal to strongman Khalifa Haftar launched the attack on Sunday in the town of Murzuq. Al Jazeera learned that the victims were attending a wedding[…]
At least 205 people have been killed in the battle for control of the Libyan capital Tripoli, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Thursday, as the United Nations-recognised government said it would seek the prosecution of renegade military leader Khalifa Haftar in the International Criminal Court (ICC). Libya’s unity[…]
Strictly Necessary Cookies
Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.
If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again.