Six people died in an informal settlement in Wallacedene, Cape Town, when their shack caught fire on Thursday night.
Four of the deceased are minors.
Theo Layne, spokesperson for Cape Town Fire and Rescue, told News24 the fire at the shack in Motlanthe Street was caused by a heating device that was left unattended.
Six people – one boy, three girls and two adult females – suffered fatal burns and another adult female was taken to hospital to be treated for burns and smoke inhalation, Layne said.
He could not confirm if the deceased were related.
Attempts to reach Western Cape police for confirmation were unsuccessful.
Reporting by Hanlie Gouws[Source: News24]