Former SABC COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng remains a trustworthy employee capable of holding any position of authority, the Ses’khona Peoples Rights Movement said on Tuesday.
It was convinced that the SABC board and Motsoeneng were victims of “political realignment” in the ANC and the country, the movement’s leader Andile Lili told reporters in Cape Town.
Lili said Motsoeneng was a “victim of white monopoly capital”. Court judgments against him had everything to do with the current changing political climate. He called on Parliament to “spare” Motsoeneng and the SABC board.
The board was expected to appear before Parliament’s communications committee on Wednesday to face questions about the state of affairs at the broadcaster, including Motsoeneng’s reappointment in another senior position.
Mthembu described his reappointment as “nothing more than disrespect for the Supreme Court of Appeal’s ruling”.
Last month, the Supreme Court of Appeal rejected Motsoeneng’s bid for leave to appeal against a November 2015 Western Cape High Court ruling declaring his appointment as COO irrational and setting it aside.
Public Protector Thuli Madonsela found, in a report released in February 2014, that Motsoeneng had lied about his qualifications when he applied for the position of COO, that he hiked his salary from R1.5m to R2.4m in one year, and purged senior staff.
Last week, the SABC announced that Motsoeneng was back in his previous job as group executive of corporate affairs. In addition, he had reportedly arranged to pay himself an R11.4m bonus.
On Monday, DA leader Mmusi Maimane said Motsoeneng had shown South Africa’s legal system the middle finger. If Motsoeneng could not obey the law, no one would, he said.[Source: News24]