Seven men accused of killing six men whose bodies were found near Kraaifontein, Cape Town, appeared in the Blue Downs Magistrate’s Court on Friday, the NPA said.
Magistrate Tammy Lendor postponed the matter to Tuesday to receive bail information and for one of the men’s lawyers to be in court, National Prosecuting Authority regional spokesman Eric Ntabazalila said in an e-mail to Sapa.
Prosecutor Hamley Marquard indicated the seven were each charged with six counts of murder.
They are Bandikhaya Koni, 37, Tshepo Alfred Mathabela, 36, Mncedisi Nditha, 37, Montile Tyokhwe, 34, Ayanda Koni, 19, Ayanda Booi, 24, and Michael Ncasa.
Charges against Ncasa were withdrawn due to insufficient evidence, Ntabazalila said.
All the accused, except Nditha, applied for Legal Aid. Nditha indicated he had a private lawyer who was not in court at the time.
The remaining accused would remain in Pollsmoor prison. Ntabazalila said the investigation was continuing and more arrests could be made once the investigation was finalised.
Police suspected the six, aged between 18 and 30, had been stoned to death. They were found lying face down, their hands tied behind their backs, by passers-by in Joostenberg Vlakte on Tuesday, December 9. SAPA