Muhammad Yusuf Da Costa narrowly escaped his abductors late on Monday evening, after a 15 hour ordeal. While exact details have yet to be revealed, the 25 year old is said to be safe at home and was found unharmed. He was taken to hospital after he was found to be in a state of shock.
Muhammad Yusuf was last seen at his home in Kensington just before 7am when he left for work in his Silver VW Polo. An hour later, the Da Costa family yesterday received an sms for R10 000 in ransom money. After a frantic search, his family located him at 12.30am at a pharmacy in Bellville.
“The men that kidnapped him got out of the car to urinate and he just got behind wheel, put his foot on the pedal and drove,” his father Shamiel Da Costa told VOC.
“He is very traumatised and tired… he was crying most of the time. Alhamdullilah, we are just happy he is safely home.”
Muhammad Yusuf is the grandson of well-known Cape Town Islamic scholar Shaykh Yusuf Da Costa. News of his abduction was widely circulated on social media.
Shamiel confirmed that no money was paid to the abductors to secure his release. The vehicle in which he was abducted has been taken by police for forensic testing.
The Da Costa family has thanked the public for their support and assistance in the search for Muhammad Yusuf.
“We had lots of people telling us they saw the car in different areas. Muhammad Yusuf confirmed the fact that the abductors were driving around the peninsula…places like Langebaan and Paarl. Right now, we are not sure what the objective was and have to wait for police to complete the investigation.”
In a press statement, Western Cape police confirmed that Muhammad Yusuf had been found.
“The 25 year old were found early this morning at about 01:00 in Durban Road , Bellville and he was reunited with his family. The investigating officer will obtain a statement from the victim during the course of the day.” VOC