From the news desk

Van Breda murders: One year on, still no arrests

Share this article
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

It’s been a year to the day since the tragic news broke that three family members had been killed in their home on a private golf estate in Stellenbosch.

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) is yet to make a decision on how to proceed with the Van Breda family murder case.

“We have received the docket from the police and we will study it with a view to taking a decision,”  NPA Western Cape spokesperson Eric Ntabazilila said.

Martin van Breda, his wife Teresa and son Rudi were hacked to death with an axe at De Zalze golf estate in the early hours of Tuesday, January 27, 2015.
Daughter Marli, who was 16 at the time, and brother Henri, 20, were the only surviving members of the attack.

One year later, no arrests have been made.

Western Cape police told News24 on Tuesday that they were unable to reveal anything new regarding the case.
“Our investigators have given the De Zalze murder case their due attention. This case was also monitored by provincial detectives,” Lieutenant Colonel Andrè Traut said.

“Please bear with us as we cannot divulge details of the investigation that has yet to be presented before a court of law.”

Traut could not speculate on when the investigation would be ready to go to court.
‘Marli doing well’

According to TimesLive, neighbours on the estate might “do something in memory of the family” this week.
Marli’s legal curator though, Advocate Louise Buikman, told News24 on Tuesday she had no knowledge of any special memorial service, but did say 17-year-old Marli has recovered remarkably.

“Marli is doing very well. Her recovery has been nothing short of miraculous given the extent and severity of the injuries that she sustained,” Buikman said.
“She is very well physically. Mentally, she is also coping remarkably well.

 

“She is obviously terribly sad about the loss of her parents and her brother. [But] Marli and her family wish to grieve in private.”

Buikman stressed that it was unlikely Marli would remember the events of that night one year ago, as she suffers from retrograde amnesia.

She also said the teen had started school again this year, is back with her friends, and has regular contact with Henri.

Family spokesperson Ben Rootman told News24 that the family preferred not to comment on the case while the investigation was still ongoing, also reaffirming that no arrests had been made yet. NEWS24

 

 

 

 

 


Share this article
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
WhatsApp WhatsApp us
Wait a sec, saving restore vars.