Wine industry organisation, Vinpro, has launched an urgent interdict application to lift the ban on the sale of wine in the Western Cape.
This follows President Cyril Ramaphosa announcement that no liquor can be sold for on and off site consumption for two weeks.
The wine organisation represents close to 2 600 South African wine grape producers, cellars and other wine related businesses.
Vinpro Managing Director, Rico Basson, says the latest two week ban follows 19 weeks of revenue loss since the start of the lockdown last year.
Basson says even though wine exports can continue, the industry exports less than 50 percent of annual production. The preliminary date for the hearing is scheduled for this Friday in the High Court in Cape Town.